GATE- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is an examination which opens the gateway to booming public organisations and in the field of research . GATE is an All-India examination administered and conducted in eight zones across the country by the GATE Committee comprising of Faculty members from IISc, Bangalore and other seven IIT’s on behalf of the National Coordinating Board, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development.
The following table shows the organizing institutes in various years:
In GATE examination, candidates can apply for only one of the 24 papers listed in the table given below. Candidates are expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of their qualifying degree. However, candidates are free to choose any paper according to their admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which they wish to seek admission.
|Architecture and Planning||AR|
|Computer Science & Information Technology||CS|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Textile Engineering & Fibre Science||TF|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY|
With a successful attempt in GATE an aspirant can choose the most suitable option from wide range of roads to travel to his final career destination :
- M.Tech/M.S./ M.E. - Candidates on qualifying GATE, get a financial aid of 12400/- per month in the form of UGC scholarship. After the completion of course students get lucrative campus placements in National and International, private or public companies.
- PhD. – Candiadates with keen interest in Research and Development can also opt for PhD from IITs/NITs and various other reputed instituitions.
- PGDM/PGDIE -Students interested in management can swing in the management line by pursuing a PG Diploma of 2 years in Industrial Engineering. NITIE Mumbai offers the best campus placement after the completion of this course.
- Several reputed PSUs and research organizations recruit on basis of GATE Score. i.e. IOCL, NTPC, BHEL, PGCIL, BARC etc.
- Teaching: Professor, Asst. Professor at IITs, NITs, reputed educational institutes etc.
- Junior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
- Senior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
- Junior Research Associates/ Senior Project Associates
- Scientists “C” grade jobs
- Career in Research & Development
- Many renowned private firms shortlist candidates for personal interview based on the GATE score.
- A good number of universities abroad also select the candidates on the basis of the GATE score for their M.S or PhD programmes.